There’s a new Porterhouse coming to a meat case near you. You will soon find a new set of names for your favorite fresh cuts of pork at retailers nationwide. Now home cooks will have an easier time selecting and preparing juicy, tender and flavorful pork – just in time for grilling season.
Research done by the National Pork Board and the Beef Checkoff Program showed that consumers are often confused by different names for similar cuts of meat and do not know what to do with or how to cook a variety of cuts.
As a solution, the pork cut names have been simplified and basic use and preparation information will be included on the package.
New pork names include:
- Pork Porterhouse Chop (Previous name: Loin Chop)
- Pork Ribeye Chop, Bone-In (Previous name: Rib Chop Center)
- Pork Ribeye Chop (Previous name: Rib Chop)
- Pork New York Chop (Previous name: Top Loin Chop)
According to National Pork Board, all pork chops can be cooked like your favorite steak. To welcome the arrival of the new cut names, get inspired with these fresh recipes as grilling season ramps up:
- It’s easy to pair the new Chipotle-Herb Butter Porterhouse Chop with corn on the cob or swap the compound butter for a completely different spin on the dish.
- Grilled Ribeye Chops with Easy Spicy BBQ Sauce and Chive Mashed Potatoes complement the new Pork Rib Chop with decadent mashed potatoes. Smothered with a BBQ sauce that marries sweet and spicy, this is a sure bet for the next family gathering.